Coaching + Consulting Services for Immigration Professionals and Immigration-Related Businesses - Our Newest Line of Service
Why Coaching + Consulting ?
Looking at my practice (and life), one of my greatest joys is helping in the problem solving process. While I love solving problems for applicants, sponsors, and those at the heart of the immigration process, I realize that by helping practitioners and businesses, I can do more good via the osmosis and institutional change that can bring about.
Coaching is the practice of helping an individual realize their ambitions in their practice, craft, or art. While usually business coaches are not subject matter experts, in my case I decided to coach only in what I know – the practice of immigration and refugee law. Just like in professional sports, where an athlete needs someone to critique their practice, review their line of work, and make recommendations – I do the same. Other times coaches are just needed to be an empathetic ear during a stressful time, or project manage/consult on a solution. I do that too.
My consulting practice is about moving beyond just the practice of law to the greater area of immigration and change-making. Businesses (such as post-secondary institutions and companies that hire foreign workers) need consultants to make sure the systems work and that risks are mitigated. I do that also. Still others might need help creating a marketing project that has key immigration elements, or helping get an ear with the media or Government. I can provide this strategic advice.
As this a new line of work, I thought I’d present some scenarios where you might want to seek coaching or consulting. Note, these are just some examples. Shoot me an email at email@example.com and we can chat more about other areas and see if they work for my practice:
Scenario 1: You are a new practitioner.
Immigration can be isolating work. It can often be you, and the client, at your small and modest shop. Listserves overwhelm you with too much information. Immigration websites appear to tell one thing, but your clients (or the results of your cases) are telling another.
Scenario 2: You are a business/institution looking to conduct an immigration audit.
Our newest line of business, coaching and consulting, aims to assist you in your immigration-related ambitions, whether it be building a more compliant business, navigating the murky waters of your most difficult cases, trying to expand into new areas, or simply trying to get licensed.
Scenario 3: You are going through a difficult time professionally and need some advice on your practice (or a file). You might have a conflict of interest, but non-immigration advisors “don’t get it.”
I work with lawyers and RCICs to strategize on your file. I represent you (not your client) so I can guide you as to steps you should take. If there’s a possible complaint, I can work with other counsel to ensure you are represented. If you have made a mistake, I can give you some idea on best ways to remedy it. Practice, rest assured, knowing someone has your back.
Scenario 4: You have an amazing idea and pitch for a line of immigration business, but need some input from someone who has been there and done that.
You want to create a new immigration line of business but cannot seem to find the right channels – be it through social media, through writing, through journalism, through advocacy to have someone hear you out. I will not only listen but strategize around how you should get your message out to develop your client base and get to the decision-makers who need to know what you have to say. If it is a bad idea, I’ll tell you right away so you don’t waste your opportunity cost.
Scenario 5: You are a student at a Post-Graduate Immigration Diploma Program who just cannot seem to get a concept/pass an exam
I have taught or lectured on quite possibly every single topic in Canadian immigration. Having taught at both Ashton College and for UBC, I know how exam questions are generated, concepts are taught, courses are passed. As these programs become harder, you need a tutor who can explain to you the concepts but also let you know what matters and what doesn’t matter with an eye to your future practice.
Scenario 6: You are a policymaker or leader that needs policy advice on Canadian Immigration Law and Policy.
Whether you lead an organization that specializes in helping newcomer communities or you are a First Nations band needing input on how immigration policies affect your community, accurate, data-driven information is often lost in the rhetoric. Immigration is innately political, but what you need is balance. Utilizing the templates that Assistant Deputy Ministers brief the Minister on, I will help you carve out speaking points, your political position, or build advocacy strategies for migrant communities.
Why Coach Will?
I have built an awarding winning Canadian immigration law blog and Canadian immigration and refugee legal practice up from the roots as a first-generation lawyer;
I have spent years teaching immigration law to professionals and presenting to organizations around the world on topics ranging on professional ethics, to social justice, to technological change in Canadian immigration. Feedback is I’m a half-decent teacher;
I have a genuine care for the well-being of racialized practitioners looking to practice ethically and bring positive change to the field, regardless of whether they are a lawyer, RCIC, RISIA academic, or just an organizing looking to do better ;
I do things differently. I don’t believe in copy and pasting (just look at any of my presentations given in the past). Every individual/organization deserves its own approach. I will work with you to find it.
What Can Coach Will Do For Me and My Team?
Our services include (but are not limited to):
- Second Opinion Services on a File or Project (see more about this here)
- Building a Business Plan/Educational Training Plan Around your Authorized Immigration Practice;
- Finding and developing members of your Immigration Team, through training and recruitment;
- Conduct an Immigration Audit/Write a Report with Recommendations on a Challenge You Are Incurring;
- Provide Research and Stats Gathering for your Immigration-Related Research/Authorized Business;
- Present to Your Team About Employer Compliance and/or How To Avoid Immigration Pitfalls;
- Tutoring for your Entry to Practice Exams; and
- Discussing Ethical Obligations/Concerns as they pertain to a Law Society or RCIC College Code of Conduct.
What Coach Will Won't Do
- Ghost consult for your clients. You are the client as the practitioner or organization. I advise you, but I don’t advise your clients nor have a representation agreement with them;
- Help unlicensed practitioners and agents. Go get a license and if you are having trouble with your entry-to-practice exams, I can assist you then.
- Join your partisan organization as a contributing member. My advice is valued for it’s independence. If I join your organization this will impact my ability to advise others or criticize your approach. Those are two things I need to maintain to consult to the best of my abilities.
- Pro-Bono Work – this project is specifically for paid work. I am opening this line as it represents my own shift towards bigger/system projects that make change and to support our Firm’s long-term sustainability. We have a whole series of pro-bono projects run through Heron Law Offices and spend much of our week volunteering for the causes we believe in. We are happy to engage you with one of our Community Lawyering channels.
What are Coach Will's Rates?
Coach Will offers either a hourly rate of CDN $350 an hour (plus applicable taxes). This represents a discount on his usual immigration consultation fees, at a rate offered to only family/friends/select referral contacts.
We also contract with trusted in-house and external researchers and academics and can build a roster for you and your team.
Set fees for projects or longer-term projects are also available upon request.
What People Say About Us
Set Up an Initial Consultation
Get in touch with our team
We will review your inquiry and send you our consultation details as soon as possible.